International football first came to Paisley way back in 1890, but it was not St Mirren who played
host, it was their rivals Abercorn who welcomed Scotland and Wales to their Underwood Park ground on the 22nd March for a
Home International Championship tie.
The match did mark the first appearance of a Saints player in the dark blue of Scotland,
with Andrew Brown and James Dunlop, helping the Scots to a comfortable 5-0 victory.
The first international match
hosted by Saints was an International League match between the Scottish and Irish Leagues on the 7th February 1904, the Scots
running out 3-1 winners.
Wales were the visitors again on the 17th March, 1923 when Saints hosted their first full
international at St Mirren Park, Love Street.
This time there were no home players on view, but the Scots still ran out
2-0 winners, in a Home International tie.
Over the following years Love Street was to play host to many more internationals
at many levels, from schoolboy to under 21 and womens matches.
However it never again hosted a full international.
There were also several representative matches played at Thistle Park and Westmarch.
When Saints moved to Greenhill Road, international
football returned quickly with a schoolboy match in April 2009, just a few months after the ground opened.
The SFA were
so impressed by the facilities offered that several U21 matches followed and in August 2011 they announced that Greenhill
Road was to become the official home of the Scottish National U21 team.
A great honour for St Mirren FC.
2013, the SFA announced that they would continue to play U-21 matches at St Mirren Park for the coming 2015 qualifying campaign.