The Barlow Cup holds a very significant place in
the History of St.Mirren Football Club as being the first piece of silverware that they ever won. However
it has been largely forgotten over the years and overshadowed by the successes of the team in the early days of the Renfrewshire
and Paisley Charity cups.
The Barlow Cup was presented by Mr TC Barlow Esq. a pyrotechnic
artist based in London and was competed for by Saints and Alexandra Athletic from Glasgow. The match took place at St.Mirren’s Thistle Park ground in Paisley on the 5th
November 1881 and Saints lined up with the following team:-
Wallace, Watt, Davis, Campbell, Johnstone, Imrie.
The formation of 2-2-6 was the favoured formation of the day with emphasis on all out attack.
Skipper of the side was Johnny Paterson, who had
been with St.Mirren since the beginning and had played in their first ever match back in 1877. Under Paterson’s leadership Saints ran out comfortable 5-1 winners with goals from Johnstone, Wallace,
Watt, Imrie and Arrol. This trophy still resides in the
St Mirren boardroom today.