When the Scottish League was revived
after the Second World War in 1946, it had intended to revert to its pre-War set-up of two divisions of 20 and 18 clubs. However
the big First Division sides preferred to retain the 16-14 club divisions that was used by the Southern League during the
previous season, and intended to breakaway and form a rival Super League if their wishes weren’t granted. After much
debate, the League voted to keep the status quo and placed the six excluded clubs along with newly formed Stirling Albion, into
a third division. The divisions were also renamed A-B-C instead of 1, 2 and 3.
Three reserve sides Dundee,
Dundee United and St Johnstone were also invited to help make the number of member clubs up to ten.
Only first teams could gain promotion to the B Division, but when the Scottish
Reserve League was merged with the C Division in 1949 to create two regionalised sections, this made it well nigh impossible
for them to achieve this, as the minnows had to face the second strings of the A Division giants. Whereas no reserve sides
won the C Division between 1946 and 1949, they only failed to win on one occasion after this.
a League meeting in June 1955, a number of clubs intended to withdraw their reserve sides and reform the Reserve League. The
five C Division clubs were promoted to an expanded 19-club B Division and the C Division was abolished.
As C Division sides were excluded from the League
Cup, they had to play in their own C Division League Cup, this was played as the Supplementary League in 1947-48.
The St Mirren reserve team, renamed St Mirren
A, joined the new Division C in 1949.
Saints competed in the South West Section of the competition for six