During their short existence, Abercorn played at five different homes.
Below is a brief history
of Abercorns time at each ground and approximate locations of each ground:-
Located in the area of Bank Street and Cochrane Street
Abercorn played their first match at East Park on the 16th February
1878 against St Mirren.It was not to be a good occasion
for them as they went down 7-0!
two years at East Park most matches were against local opposition and there were no competitive matches played.
Following Abercorns departure, East Park was home to Paisley Athletic for a number of years.
Located near the gasworks at Lonewells
Blackstoun Park was opened on the 6th September 1879 for a game against Western of Glasgow.
The Abbies recording a 2-0 win.
Blackstoun Park was to see the first national
competitive competition for the Abbies when they entered the Scottish Cup in 1880-81. The first match was a first round tie against Barrhead in 1880 which was memorable
for the Abbies as they ran out 7-1 winners.
to gain recognition by hosting two inter league matches with Renfrewshire registering wins against Liverpool and District(4-1)
and East of Scotland(5-1).
The Abbies were represented in both fixtures with Brodie, Johnstone, Buchanan and Munro lining
up against the Merseysiders, Buchanan netting one of the goals and McLardie scoring against the East of Scotland, with Johnstone
and Munro also in the team.
Blackstoun Park hosted a few representative matches.
11 Dec 1880
Renfrewshire 1 Ayrshire 3
6 Jan 1883
Scottish Counties 4 Glasgow
12 Jan 1884
Scotch Counties 2 Glasgow 3
22 Oct 1887
Renfrewshire 4 Liverpool & District 1
10 Nov 1888
East of Scotland 1
Located near the cleansing department on St James’ Street
After ten years at Blackstoun Park it
was a short move to Underwood Park and a first match against Renton in August 1889.
In March 1890 Underwood Park was chosen to host the first international football match held in Paisley
when Scotland entertained Wales. The Abbies were not represented in the line up but their Paisley rivals St Mirren
were represented by James Dunlop and Andrew Brown. The first Paisley Internationalists.
Underwood Park was also
to see the advent of league football in 1890.
A further honour for the Abbies was hosting the
1894 junior cup final between Ashfield and Renfrew Victoria. The Glasgow side running out 3-0 winners. This is the only time
a junior cup final has been played in Paisley.
Scotland 5 Wales 0
Junior Cup Final
3 Renfrew Vics 0
with the full international and Junior Cup fixtures, Underwood Park hosted a few representative matches.
1 Feb 1890
Renfrewshire 7 Dumbartonshire 5
12 Nov 1892
Renfrewshire 2 Dumbartonshire 2
23 May 1893
Upper Ward 5 Lower Ward 4
International Trial Match
Renfrewshire 4 Ayrshire 2
|site of Underwood Park
|Taken from 1895 OS map
1899–1909 Old Ralston.Located around the Williamsburgh area.
Abercorn moved to Ralston Park (Later known as Old Ralston) for the start
of season 1899-1900, playing their first match on the 26th August 1899 against Leith Athletic in a second division match.
The Abbies went on to play at the ground for the next ten seasons.
1909–1920 New Ralston.
off East lane/Lacy Street
After the lease expired on Old Ralston Park, Abercorn
secured a second ten year lease on a park just to the west of their old pitch.
The first match was played on the
11th September 1909 against Ayr Parkhouse.
When the lease was up in 1920, it was not renewed by the land owner,
as plans were in place to build an ice rink on part of the ground, and this was the catalyst that started the demise
of the club. History would show that the ice rink did not actually appear for a further four years, so potentially the Abbies
could have had more time to plan a future.
|Possible site of New Ralston Park
|Taken from a 1922 map of Paisley.